Monday, May 25, 2009

Interview

1.- What is your full name?
Dr. Ki Chi Chi, PT, DPT (Korey)


2.- Where are you from (city, state, country)?
My home town is Hong Kong. I came to the States 12 years ago. I currently live in Brooklyn, New York.


3.- Where did you go to college? For how long? Do you plan to go back to school?
I went to college at Stony Brook University. I finished my bachelor degree in Biology in 4 years. Three years later, I got my Clinical doctoral degree in Physical Therapy. I might go back to school a couple years later to study acupuncture, if I have time and enough saving.


4.- Why did you choose your professional field?
To be able to walk and climbing stairs, to get in and out of the bed, these are all basic needs that we will require to live a normal life. I like the idea that I can get someone to have a better life without using any medication.


5.- What got you involved in this field of work? What inspired you to do it?
One thing that inspired me a lot is the way we play piano. I play piano as a hobby. Lot of times I’m amazed by our ability to move our fingers and hit the keys at a precise speed and force to create a beautiful melody. I always wonder how this is possible. I wonder what is the connection between the fingers and the brain and what is inside our body that allows these happen. I feel like I want to study more about human movement and be an expert in this. That is what inspired me to be a physical therapist. Being a physical therapist, I am able to help other people to move in a better way and live a more happy life.


6.- How long have you worked here?
Three years and a half.


7.- What is job title?
Senior Physical Therapist


8.- What do your duties include? Or What kinds of work does your job involve?
We treat patients with different movement disorder based on the doctor’s script. We teach patients how to do exercises and stretches so that they can get stronger and move better.


9.- What is the best part of your job?
The best part of my job of course is the privilege of have the license to touch any body part that I want. Just kidding. The best part is the sense of accomplishment of seeing someone progressing functionally and the joy that they express on their face. For example, getting from wheelchair bound to walking short distance. This sense of accomplishment is priceless.


10.- What is something you would like to change about your job?
In the near future, I wish to open my own clinic and treat patients with different neurological problems.


11.- Do you enjoy the kind of work you do? Why or why not?
Of course I do. In addition to treating patients with different problems, I also learnt a lot from listening to their complaints and stories, no matter good or bad. I also learnt to be a more people person from just communicating with them.


12.- What are some of the challenges you have faced working here?
In a hospital setting environment, I will need to deal with patients coming from different level of social status. Sometimes, I have patient who barely can afford to live in a shelter. Sometimes I have patient who is one of the hospital administrators. I just have to learn to be flexible to be able to communicate to different types of people.


13.- How has having an intern (such as myself) helped your company or organization advance or progress?
Having your presence in our department is definitely a blessing. You really help us out a lot in preparing and setting up our treatment areas which surely will improve our productivity and so we can use our skills to help more people who are needed. I wish your school will continue to send more students to us.


14.- What advice would you give to high school interns (such as myself) getting ready for college?
Open up your mind and explore different areas of interest. Don’t get stuck studying in one area because of your parents’ want you to. Always study something that you are interested in.


15.- What advice would you give to high shool-aged interns (such as myself) preparing to find a career in the real world?
Always continue to advance your knowledge and learn as much as possible. So you can be competitive in finding a job. And remember nothing is permanent and it is never too late to change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment